HomeAboutBlog Design

January 24, 2012

Clean Up the Money!

I love Mathwire.com!
They have great ideas and resources.

A long time ago (in dog years probably) I found this great game called "Clean Up the Money!"


Not only does this game have kids practicing counting coins but . . . using grid coordinates!
Shazam!
We are working on using grid coordinates in Social Studies.

Here's what Mathwire says about this game:

Clean Up the Money! Game: this 2-player game challenges students to toss 2 dice, form a coordinate pair, then collect the coin from that space, if there is one.   First students alternate placing quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies on the gameboard. Then students toss a regular die and a special die (A-B-C-D-E-F) to form the coordinate pair and remove the coin from the matching space.   Variations of the game are given but students must always find the value of their coins to identify the winner of the game so they get plenty of practice sorting and counting coins. NOTE: Buy wooden cubes at craft stores to create the ABCDEF die or use labels to cover the faces of a regular die.

So, we are playing this game tomorrow.

Some of my darlings just can't get a handle on the money thing.  Arg!

I also have my observation tomorrow.

Fingers are crossed that a certain little nugget (love that term from don't recall who) is absent.  If so all will go well.  If not, then . . .

yike-a-roni-soup . . .

I am in for it!

"No meds since Thanksgiving boy" is driving everyone nuts including me.  He is as loud as a freight train and less capable than my special needs kiddos.  Add a dollop of defiance and a sprinkling of potty mouth and you get the picture.

Anyway, if your kiddos need some coin counting practice go snag yourself this little ol' game.  You'll be glad you did.
Photobucket

17 comments :

  1. Good luck with your observation and with your kiddo!
    A friend of mine actually used that math wire game for her observation! :)
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this will help, but in case it does:

    We use 'hairs' to count money. Five cents is one hair, so a nickel gets one hair (a vertical line sticking out of the top of the nickel), ten cents has two 'hairs' so there are two lines sticking out, and the kid can count by fives to get to ten. A quarter gets five hairs, so the kid can count by fives to get to 25, and so on.

    It really helps with counting up the amount of money - counting by fives is a more accessible skill. For pennies, each one gets a little dot on top, and the dot is worth one (obviously).

    That might sound confusing - let me know if it does; maybe I should take pictures! But maybe it will help.

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your observation tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the game...I love Mathwire too but forgot to look there for money games! AND hopefully you get a little break from your little nugget! (I know I'm hoping for one from mine!) :)
    Stacee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that game!!! We call it Digging for Treasure! Yours is much cuter, though!
    If your nugget shows up, send him to a friend's classroom during your observation!! :) Our principal always tells us that we can do that! Ha!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh...I'm noy a meds pusher, but some kids NEED to be on meds...and he sounds like one of them...
    Chrissy's "hair" idea is cute...sound like a cute art math project to me!! lol...it's a lot like the touch math for it too...
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this money game. I bet my kids will love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, this is the year of the "meds" in my classroom. This is also the year of "let's not take my meds 4/5 days of the week and drive the teacher and everyone else crazy." I feel your pain!

    Meg
    Third Grade in the First State

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love it when you can have them practice several skills at the same time! I am lucky to teach in the same building with you, Erika! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like getting my kiddos to practice many different skills. This one is certainly on my radar. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What an awesome game :) I'm going to use this with my kiddos next week for sure :) We're working on both of those skills! Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa :)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tagged you in a post - come check it out!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, that kiddos sounds like he;'s been giving you a smallish headache ;)

    I tagged you, come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been tagged! Check out my latest post to find out more!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm starting money tomorrow and that is the exact game in my plans! I start with only pennies the first day and add other coins later for the kids who are ready for mixed coins (hopefully most of them this late in the year).
    F is For First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing. My 2nd graders are also struggling with money, but have conquered coordinate grids, so this game will be perfect. Thanks again :)

    Lisa
    stories114.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Math Wire, too! It is an excellent resource. :)

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for filling my bucket!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...