HomeAboutBlog Design

October 06, 2011

Verbs (aka Action Words)

This week we've been working on verbs (also known as action words). I teach my little friends this song. In the second verse, we substitute in different verbs they can think of and do a motion for each. Although some don't "fit" in the rhythm of the song, we don't care! If we can sing and move, we are happy.Microsoft Word - Action Verb Song
If you haven't already noticed, I LOVE music and movement!


We've also played "Verb Charades" and brainstormed different action verbs with similar meanings. For example: rest and relax, eat and devour. What fabulous discussion! I like to share Melissa Forney's strong verb poem called "The Dog Ate the Bone" from her book Razzle Dazzle Writing. This awesome book even has a cute three-minute play about strong verbs. The book is targeted to older kids, but my class always loves both of these activities!

You can find a great lesson on action verbs at www.readwritethink.org called "Action ABC's: Learning Vocabulary with Verbs". I've done this activity in the past and it is fun, but since we did our ABC noun quilt, I decided not to do it this year--yet!


1 comment :

  1. thanks so much for entering the giveaway!! :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for filling my bucket!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...