HomeAboutBlog Design

September 21, 2011

Speak Like a Pirate Day

We had some fun Monday in honor of Speak Like a Pirate Day. I took pictures of each of my students wearing an eye patch and a pirate hat while they held on to a Fur Real parrot. Of course, they had to make a pirate-like face because pirates don't smile! Then they each wrote a super sentence using the pirate form from Mrs. Candau's super sentences freebie on her amazing website. Next, I made a page with their picture and lines above for them to write the final copy of their sentence on. (Our first "published" piece of writing!) Here is a sample of what one looked like.Microsoft Word - Pirate Jordan
The kids had a blast doing this and put a lot of effort into their sentences. Some were bummed I wanted to hang them up for a while instead of letting them take them home right away. This may be our first class book if I can convince them! :) I also read aloud Pirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda Long. It was a fun day!


1 comment :

  1. Hi Erika-
    I'm so glad you found my blog! and I found yours! I wish I had a class pet but my co-teachers say I have enough pets at home I don't need anymore anywhere :) I toy with the idea quite a bit. A spider would be cool as I do a month of spiders in Oct. but I don't know if I could handle a spider all year as my pet :) You have a great blog and I love how we have some similar ideas going (clip chart, crate seats...) Thanks for following my blog and finding me!
    Stacee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for filling my bucket!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...